This article offers tips on how to earn English as Second Language or ESL Certification Programs in the U.S. Oftentimes, getting an ESL certification is greatly necessary in teaching the language as a foreign language in any educational institution or school.
Below are some of the effective tips on how to be successful in obtaining any of the ESL Certification Programs.
- Many schools and private organizations or companies require teachers to have attained a bachelor’s or master’s degree ESL to get the job they dreamed of. Consequently, students of ESL programs are required to take courses in the ESL pedagogy and study of this language as well as its nuances and origins. Primarily, most of the programs offer practicum that engages ESL teaching with a seasoned teacher in the community. They are also integrated with their respective state upon their graduation. However, the programs may vary and are identified by the university or college and the department.
- Students should enroll in traditional ESL or TEFL certification courses. It notes that most states offer approximately 30 hours of coursework in the study areas of educational theory, child psychology and development, and curriculum and instruction. There are also schools requiring their students to take student teaching course.
Esl Certification Programs – Requirements
- Applicants for ESL Certification Programs are required to obtain practical experience, either in person or online. These can be made possible through a contact with the adult education department, local community college, or a community center to ensure that you can observe and help in special teaching lessons as volunteers. This will give students a chance to experience the real set-up of the course other than just simple study.
- Bilingual/ESL students are expected to take any of ESL programs, which are specifically significant to non-traditional students who already have full-time jobs in any discipline. These programs can also be completed either in short-term or long-term basis depending on the preference of the students. Keep in mind that online courses are as valid as their traditional-based counterparts. However, students need to be wise and cautious in selecting online ESL courses. This incident can only be prevented by checking on the proper department of the state for the accreditation of the online university or college.
- If students opt to attain an ESL or TESOL course, a traditional manner without receiving a program, they can do this by committing themselves to non-degree courses. One of these courses is the Cambridge Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) offers an extensive foundation. This course is provided by various centers around the world and can be taken from weeks to a maximum of one year, which depends on the intensity of their chosen course.
Generally, U.S. a bachelor’s or master’s course is considered a pre-requisite in attaining any of the ESL Certification Programs. However, this is definitely not true in other countries in which the language is not primarily spoken or written.